Navjot Singh Sidhu is an Indian politician and former cricketer. Please note that there may have been developments or changes since then.
Born on October 20, 1963 in Patiala, Punjab, India, Navjot Singh Sidhu rose to fame as a cricketer before entering politics. He played for the Indian national cricket team from 1983 to 1999. Sidhu was known for his aggressive batting style and was a part of many memorable moments in Indian cricket history.
After retiring from cricket, Navjot Singh Sidhu entered politics. He joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and was elected Member of Parliament (MP) from Amritsar in 2004. He remained associated with BJP for many years. Sidhu has also been a television personality and was a popular face in various comedy shows.
Notably, Sidhu served as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) in the Punjab State Assembly. He has been associated with both the BJP and the Indian National Congress at various points in his political career. Sidhu has held various ministerial positions in the Punjab government.
As a professional cricketer, Sidhu’s career spanned over 19 years after making his first-class debut in 1981–82. After losing his place in the national team after his international debut in 1983–84, he bounced back by scoring four half-centuries in the 1987 World Cup. Playing mostly as a top-order batsman, Sidhu played 51 Tests and 136 One Day Internationals for his country.
He became known for his six-hitting ability and earned the nickname “Sixer Sidhu”. After retirement, he turned to commentary and television, notably as a judge on comedy shows, and a permanent guest on Comedy Nights with Kapil (2013–2015) and later The Kapil Sharma Show (2016–2019). In form of. He was a contestant in the reality television show Bigg Boss (2012) and was seen in the show Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka.
|Navjot Singh Sidhu
|Politician, X-Cricketer, judge of the show
|Nationalist Congress Party
Personal Life & More
|Date of Birth
|20 October 1963
|Age (as in 2023)
|Patiala, Punjab, India
|Patiala, Punjab, India
|Yadavindra Public School
|College & Institute
|H. R. College of Commerce and Economics
Physical Stats & More
|6 Feet & 0 inches (180 Cm)
|Body Measurement (Approx.)
Affairs & More
|Navjot Kaur Sidhu
|Aalu Pratha & Butter, Domestic Food, Mutton shawarma
|Shami kapoor, Dharmendra, Jitendra,
|Rekha, Sunny Leon
|Yellow, Black & Pink
|Lionel Messy, Antoine Griezmann
|Sustenance is better than hunger, treeconomics by Stephen j. Dubner and Steven Levitt.
Family & More
|Sardar Bhagwant Singh (Decent Cricket Player)
Hobbies & Money Factor
|Reading Book, Eating & Travelling
|Net Worth (Approx.)
|25 Crore INR (in 2023)
Social Media ID
|Click To Follow Her
|Click To Follow Her
|Click To Follow Her
- Navjot Singh Sidhu is a multifaceted personality, known for his contributions to cricket, politics and television.
- Sidhu was a former Indian cricketer and played as a right-handed batsman.
- He represented the Indian cricket team from 1983 to 1999 and played in both Test and One Day International (ODI) formats.
- Her friends and fans often call her “Sherry”.
- Sidhu was known for his aggressive and flamboyant batting style.
- He played an important role in many memorable innings for the Indian cricket team.
- His highest score in Test cricket is 201 not out against West Indies in 1997. This innings played an important role in India’s victory in that match.
- After retiring from cricket, Sidhu joined politics.
- He joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and represented Amritsar in the Lok Sabha.
- Sidhu became a popular television personality, especially in comedy shows.
- His witty comments and infectious laugh made him a favorite of shows like “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge”.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu has changed political parties several times during his career.
- Initially he was associated with BJP, later he joined Indian National Congress.
- In the Punjab state government, Sidhu has held ministerial positions.
- He served as the Minister of Local Government, Tourism and Cultural Affairs in the Punjab Cabinet.
- Sidhu has been surrounded by controversies throughout his political career, including public spats with fellow politicians and legal issues.
- Apart from his involvement in sports and politics, Sidhu has been associated with philanthropic activities and has been involved in various initiatives for the welfare of the society.
- Sidhu joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in 2004 and contested the general elections from Amritsar that year.
- He won the election and held the seat till 2014 and also won the next election.
- He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha from Punjab in 2016, the same year he resigned from the post and left the party.
- In 2017, he joined the Indian National Congress and was elected to the Punjab Legislative Assembly from Amritsar East.
- He lost from Amritsar East assembly constituency in the 2022 Punjab Legislative Assembly election.
- In 1988, Sidhu was involved in a road rage incident that resulted in the death of a man.
- In May 2022, the Supreme Court of India convicted him of voluntarily causing hurt (Section 323 of the Indian Penal Code) and sentenced him to 1 year of rigorous imprisonment.
- He was released after serving about 10 months of sentence in Patiala jail.
- Former Pakistani cricketer and prime minister Imran Khan is one of his good friends.
- Many times opposition politicians have criticised Sidhu for nepotism.
- Fellow players from his cricketing career call him by his pet name Sherry.
1. What is Navjot Singh Sidhu known for?
ANS- Navjot Singh Sidhu is known for his career as a cricketer, his contribution to Indian politics and his presence on television, especially in comedy shows.
2. For which cricket teams did Navjot Singh Sidhu play?
ANS- Sidhu played for the Indian national cricket team from 1983 to 1999. He represented India in both Test matches and One Day Internationals (ODIs).
3. What is Navjot Singh Sidhu’s highest score in Test cricket?
ANS- Sidhu’s highest score in Test cricket is 201 not out, which he achieved against West Indies in 1997.
4. When did Navjot Singh Sidhu enter politics?
ANS- After retiring from cricket, Sidhu came into politics. He joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and was associated with both the BJP and the Indian National Congress at various points in his political career.
5. Has Navjot Singh Sidhu held any ministerial post?
ANS- Yes, Sidhu has held the post of minister in the Punjab state government. He served as the Minister of Local Government, Tourism and Cultural Affairs.
6. Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu change political party?
ANS- Sidhu has changed political affiliations during his career. His decision to switch parties has been attributed to various factors, including differences with party leaders and emerging political dynamics.
7. Navjot Singh Sidhu has appeared in which television show?
ANS- Sidhu gained popularity on television through comedy shows, with his notable appearance being “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge”.
8. Is Navjot Singh Sidhu active in philanthropy?
ANS- Yes, Sidhu has been associated with philanthropic activities and has been involved in various initiatives for the welfare of the society.
9. Has Navjot Singh Sidhu been in controversies?
ANS- Yes, Sidhu has been surrounded by controversies throughout his political career, including public disagreements with fellow politicians and legal issues.
10. What is the surname of Navjot Singh Sidhu?
ANS- Her friends and fans often call her “Sherry”.
Read More: Navjot Singh Sidhu