Smita Sabharwal is a 2002 batch Indian Administrative Service officer belonging to the Telangana cadre. He was born on 19 June 1977. She has been given an endearing name “People’s Officer” by the people. He is known as a People’s Officer for his involvement in addressing civic issues. She is the first woman IAS officer to be appointed to the Chief Minister’s Office in 2002. She is currently serving as the Secretary to the Chief Minister in the Government of Telangana in 2023 and also holds the additional charge of Secretary, Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Department (Mission Bhagirath Department).
Sabharwal was born in a Bengali family in Darjeeling, West Bengal. His father was born in the house of Colonel Pranab Das, an army officer.
Smita did her schooling at St. Ann’s High School, Secunderabad. In 1999, she was the All India Topper in the ICSE examination. She graduated in commerce from St. Francis College for Women, Hyderabad in 1998. She was 21 years old when she cleared the Union Public Service Commission examination in 2000 and secured 4th rank all India level.
After completing administrative training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie in 2002, Sabharwal was trained in Adilabad district during his probation.
His first independent charge was as Deputy Collector of Madanapalle in Chittoor in 2000, which gave him practical experience in land revenue management and district administration. Thereafter he worked in Rural Development Sector as Project Director, DRDA, Cuddapah.
He served as Municipal Commissioner in Warangal, where he started the “Fund Your City” scheme, where a large number of public utilities like traffic junctions, foot-overbridges, bus-stops, parks were built with public-private partnership (PPP). was constructed. Later, he served as the Deputy Commissioner of Commercial Taxes in Visakhapatnam.
as District Collector
Smita Sabharwal served as Joint Collector of Kurnool and Joint Collector of Hyderabad.
In April 2012, he took charge as the District Collector of Karimnagar district where he made significant contributions in the health and education sector. Since 2011, a health initiative to improve institutional delivery in the public sector, commonly known as Ammallana, has been launched and successfully implemented in the district. It became a model for many health initiatives of Government of India in NRHM ‘Targeting High Risk Pregnancy Management, IMR and MMR’. The initiative was also nominated as one of the best initiatives for the Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration.
Since 2011, with the help of public representatives, Karimnagar city has been revamped with wide roads, scientifically planned traffic junctions, bus-stops, toilets and other public utilities. Karimnagar district was awarded the best district award in PM’s 21 point program for 2013 -2014. He successfully started a program called Voter Panduga to increase the voting percentage.
He also served as the District Collector of Medak during the General Elections 2015 and successfully conducted free and fair elections registering high voting percentage.
Sabharwal is popularly known as a people’s officer and is known to use the latest developments in technology to her advantage, especially in implementing government programs in the field. The monitoring of government doctors through Skype has completely redone the scenario in the public health sector. Monitoring the performance of government schools since 2010 through specially designed software has made Karimnagar and Medak districts top in the state during his tenure.
|Real Name||Smita Das|
|Nick Name||Smita Sabharwal|
|Profession||Civil Servant (IAS)|
Personal Life & More
|Date of Birth||19 June 1977|
|Age (as in 2023)||46 years|
|Birth Place||West Bengal, India|
|Residence Place||West Bengal, India|
|School||St. Ann’s High School, Secunderabad|
|College & Institute||St. Francis College for Women, Hyderabad in 1998|
|Educational Qualification||Bachlore of Commerce|
Physical Stats & More
|Height (Approx.)||5 Feet & 5 inches (165 Cm)|
|Weight (Approx.)||70 Kgs|
|Body Measurement (Approx.)||38′ 32′ 36|
Affairs & More
|Husband||Akun Sabharwal (IPS)|
|Favorite Food||Mutton, Mishtie Doi, Pasta|
|Favorite Actor||Shahrukh khan, Hritik Raushan|
|Favorite Actress||Priety Zinta|
|Favorite Color||Yellow, Black & Pink|
|Favorite Cricketer||Virat Kohli|
Family & More
|Father||Colonel Pranab Das|
|Mother||Smt. Purabi Das|
Hobbies & Money Factor
|Hobbies||Reading & Writing|
|Net Worth (Approx.)||5 Crore INR (approx) as of 2023|
Social Media ID
|Twitter ID||Click To Follow Her|
|Facebook ID||Click To Follow Her|
|Instagram ID||Click To Follow Her|
Unknown Fact About Smita Sabharwal
- Smita Sabharwal is an ideal IAS officer.
- Smita is very fond of the natural environment and for this she has planted a garden next to her house and observes the plants herself.
- She has been a cat lover since childhood.
- She had a lot of interest in reading and writing since the age of 10 years.
- Smita Sabharwal has been given the “Indian Express Devi Award” for innovation and dynamism in 2014.
- Smita Sabharwal was given the award in 2012 for “e-India (e-Health category)” government digital initiative.
- Chief Minister’s Award for Best District in 21 Point Flagship Program in 2011-12.
- “Chief Minister’s Award” has been given for the best district in 21-point flagship program in 2012-14.
- Recipient of “Platinum Award” of ₹10.00 Lakh under District Category sponsored by Department of Information Technology & Communication for the best e-Governance initiative taken in the district for the year 2012-14.
- Best District Initiative in the erstwhile United Government of Andhra Pradesh in the program “Ammallana” has been nominated and received the Prime Minister’s Award under individual category for Excellence in Public Administration.
- Smita Sabharwal also served as Joint Collector of Kurnool and Joint Collector of Hyderabad.
- She took charge as District Collector of Karimnagar district in April 2012 where he made significant contribution in health and education sector.
- Since 2013, a health initiative to improve institutional delivery in the public sector, commonly known as Ammallana, was launched and successfully implemented in the district.
- It became a popular model for many health initiatives of Government of India in NRHM ‘Targeting High Risk Pregnancy Management, IMR and MMR’.
- The initiative was also nominated as one of the best initiatives for the Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration.
- With the help of public representatives, Karimnagar city was redesigned with wide roads, scientifically planned traffic junctions, bus-stops, toilets and other public utilities.
- Karimnagar district was awarded the Best District Award in PM’s 20 Point Program for 2013-2014. He successfully started a program called Voter Panduga to increase the voting percentage.
- She also served as the District Collector of Medak during the General Elections 2014 and successfully conducted free and fair elections registering high voting percentage.
- Smita is popularly known as a people’s officer and is known to use the latest developments in technology to her advantage, especially in implementing government programs in the field.
- The monitoring of government doctors through Skype has completely redone the scenario in the public health sector.
- Monitoring the performance of government schools through specially designed software has brought Karimnagar and Medak districts to the fore in the state during his tenure.
People Also Ask About Smita Sabharwal
1. What is the current posting of IAS Smita Sabharwal?
ANS:- She was born on 19 June 1977. Smita Sabharwal is currently posting as the Secretary of the Chief Minister, Telangana.
2. What is the rank of IAS officer Smita Sabharwal?
ANS:- 4th rank
Smita Sabharwal IAS is also known as the ‘People’s Officer’. Her exemplary work as an IAS officer has earned her many accolades and she has become an inspiration to IAS aspirants all over the country. She was an IAS topper, securing 4th rank in the 2000 UPSC exam. Read on about Smita Sabharwal’s incredible journey.
3. What is the education of IAS Smita Sabharwal?
ANS:- Smita finished her education in Hyderabad. Now as an officer, she has been posted in several places in Telangana, including Warangal, Visakhapatnam, Karimnagar, and Chittoor. She received her degree in commerce from St. Francis University in Hyderabad. She did her high school from St. Ann’s in Marredpally, Hyderabad.
4. IAS officer Smita Sabharwal
ANS:- IAS officer Smita Sabharwal is one such person who cracked the UPSC exam on the first attempt when she was just 22. Reports state that Smita Sabharwal is the youngest female IAS officer in India. She is also the youngest officer to have been posted at the CM’s office.
5 Smita Sabharwal IAS Age
ANS:- According to Smita Sabharwal IAS’s biography was born on 19th June 1977. She became an IAS officer at the age of 23. However, Smita Sabharwal’s age is 44 years. However, she was born in a Bengali family in Darjeeling.
Read More Smita Sabharwal